There is a new committee idea brewing at the lodge.. and you have an opportunity to get involved and help us form it.
Our lodge has paid kitchen cooks to service the social quarters. But did you know that during most events the kitchen is run completely by volunteers?
The idea is to create a Kitchen Committee that can help with events (Bingo, Initiation Dinners, Veteran’s Day Dinner, Memorial Day Brunch, etc) and keep the kitchen always-ready for the cooks or next volunteer crew. You don’t have to be a chef or even know your way around our kitchen. The committee will create experts out of you.
Here are some ideas that might be incorporated into this new committee:
- Require a Food Handler’s permit for all volunteers who handle food (easy to get online for $10 after taking a quick online class/test. Must have Flash on computer to do this.)
- Create a list of kitchen volunteers that event chairs can call on for food serving events.
- Seek members with the ability to cook, but also develop roles in food prep, serving, clean-up.
- Maintain organization, cleanliness of kitchen, and documentation.
- Work with chef to understand best organizational practices so that we don’t make his job harder.
- Schedule and attend kitchen cleaning and organization “parties” for Elks members to show up and do a good cleaning.
Please email email@example.com if you would like to get involved.